6 walks near Buxton
PUBLISHED: 11:43 10 November 2017 | UPDATED: 14:50 03 August 2018
Buxton is the perfect base for a walking holiday in the Peak District. We pick some of our favourites in the surrounding area.
Buxton and Solomon’s Temple
Start out at the famous Pavilion Gardens, cross the River Wye and scale the dizzy heights of Solomon’s Temple for an aerial view of Buxton.
this walk is an undulating amble through a succession of fields and stiles to Sheen, followed by a gentle wander amid a scenic landscape beside the meandering River Dove.
A very varied walk with three quite steep climbs but well worth the effort as the views over Monsal Dale are quite stunning. The return paths are down a dale from Taddington and along Monsal Dale.
A stroll around the tangled web of Tideswell’s narrow roads, lanes, alleyways and ginnels, twisting between character houses and pretty cottages.
Shining Tor and Errwood Reservoir
Venture across to the Cheshire side of the Peak District and enjoy the panoramic views from the neighbouring county’s highest point.
Monsal Head and Litton Mill
Start out from Monsal Head and take in some of the Peak District’s most famous landmarks, as well reminders of the Peak District’s industrial past at Litton Mill.
Newsletter Sign Up
- Win a six-course tasting menu dinner for two with bed and breakfast at Palé Hall
- Derbyshire Life magazine November 2018 – out in the shops or available to buy online now
- Why you should visit Sudbury in the Derbyshire Dales
- Adrian Farmer - Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Heritage Coordinator
- Sinfonia Viva’s Frank Zielhorst looks ahead to the new concert season