Bakewell and Over Haddon,Derbyshire County Walk
PUBLISHED: 12:07 29 April 2010 | UPDATED: 13:05 16 June 2016
bakewell car park â€" river wye â€" haddon hall car park â€" haddon fields â€" over haddon â€" ditch cliff
Linear Distance: 6 miles
Approx time: 3 hours continuous walking
Approx height: climbed 350 ft
Parking: SK 221684 (cattle market)
Refreshments: Over Haddon and Bakewell
Picnic: Instruction 10
Toilets: Car park
Directions: From Derby take the A6 to Bakewell.â€ˆAbout one mile past the entrance to Haddonâ€ˆHall and just before you get into Bakewell turn right. Follow the Agricultural Way to the parking areas for the town centre, the Agricultural Centre, and the Bakewell Show.
Description: An easy walk following the River Wye to the entrance to Haddonâ€ˆHall then a gentle climb across open farm land up to Over Haddon. You will have a good view of Lathkill Dale where you can picnic. If you wish for more creature comforts then continue up to the Lathkill Hotel. After a mainly downhill walk you will return to the top end of Bakewell. A stroll through Bakewell will bring you back to the car park via the crossing of the Wye River, where the duck population is prolific.
1. From the car park walk back down the Agricultural Way. Where it bends right keep straight on. (A)
2. Follow the fence, trees and hedge close on the left, crossing a stile and going through a small gate. After the gate turn sharp left over a footbridge and then turn right. (B) Veer away slightly from the hedge on your right. Cross two footbridges to the left of a small gate.
3. Follow the footpath sign keeping the hedge and stream close on the right. Go through a small gate and keep straight on signed ‘Bowling Green Fm’. The River Wye is to your right.
4. After about one mile from the start pass through a gate and turn right along the lane for about 30 metres. Turn left over a metal stile. (C)
5. Follow the riverside path through the wood. Cross the rather impressive stone bridge before climbing the path to the A6.
6. Turn left down the road and just before the Haddon Hall car park cross the busy A6. (D) Go through the gate to pass the car park on your left then through another gate.
7. Stay on the bridleway, with a wall on the right as you climb the hill. Go through a third gate. Continue in the same direction, crossing three large fields, keeping the walls on the left, and going through one gate and one stile to the left of a farm gate. (This is the Youlgreave route.)
8. In the third field you will pass a farm near the field corner where you go through a small gate. (E)
9. Bear right and aim for the white building up ahead in Over Haddon. Cross a stile and continue in the same direction to cross a lane via two stiles. Keep straight on to go through a small gate.
10. (F) Follow the path above the River Lathkill until you reach a fence stile on the right. (G) Cross this stile and bear left up the field aiming for a way-marked post. Go through two small gates and continue uphill aiming to the right of the white building – the Lathkill Hotel.
11. Cross the stile to walk in front of the hotel. Take the right-hand fork uphill to join another road and continue ahead to the next road junction. Turn right along the Bakewell Road, passing Manor Court. Leave the village and ignore the road to New Close Farm. In about half a mile, at a left bend, leave the road to keep straight on through a stile by the footpath post. (H)
12. Walk down the steep hill to cross a gated stile. Turn right to walk towards and past the next footpath post. Follow the path as it gradually descends to the valley bottom, where you have a wall on the left. Continue to follow this wall until you reach a gated stile on the left. (I) Cross this stile and turn left.
13. Walk up the field, keeping a wall on the right, to cross the stile in the field corner. Keep straight on. You now have a wall on the left and soon lose the wall on the right. As you near the field corner turn right, still keeping the field boundary close on the left.
14. (J) Cross the stile in the field corner and keep straight on to go through a gate.
15. Walk along the path by Lady Manners School. At the road junction keep straight on across it to follow the path by the tennis courts and playing fields. Go through a gate and on – first down the tarmac path, then the pavement, before crossing the estate road and following a path between the houses. This path soon widens out into a minor road. Where this road bends right keep straight on down steps to the road.
16. Turn left down the road. (K) At the T-junction turn right down the Monyash road. At the junction with the A6 turn right to cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and continue along the A6 to take the next left turn. Walk past the police station and where the road bends left bear off right to cross the paved area and the bridges over the Wye. This leads back to the car park.