- Start: The George, Alstonefield
- End: The George, Alstonefield
- Country: England
- County: Derbyshire
- Type: Country
- Nearest pub: The George in Alstonefield (open every day), The Royal Oak in Wetton (not open daily) and The Watts Russell in Hope (closed on Mondays)
- Ordnance Survey: Explorer OL 24 White Peak
- Difficulty: Medium
Alstonefield "“ Gateham Farm "“ Wetton Hill "“ Wetton "“ Manifold Valley "“ Stanshope Lane "“ Hopedale "“ Alstonefield
Map: Explorer OL 24 White Peak
Parking: SK 131 556
Distance: 6 miles
Approx. time: 3 hours
Total height climbed: Between 300 and 600ft
Paths: Mainly clear field paths
Stiles: 42, all fairly easy
Refreshments: The George in Alstonefield (open every day), The Royal Oak in Wetton (not open daily) and The Watts Russell in Hope (closed on Mondays)
Directions: From Ashbourne take the A515 Buxton Road. In 5 miles turn left to Alstonefield. Follow the minor road for nearly 3 miles crossing the Dove River. There are two car parks in the village, both clearly signed. The walk starts atThe George, which is off to the left as you enter the village.
Description: This is a delightful and varied walk from the pretty village of Alstonefield. The route follows field paths to Wetton, a small village of stone cottages, a number of them being available to rent for holidays. From here undulating field paths lead to the impressive edge above the Manifold Valley where there are wonderful views across the Staffordshire Peak District. The route returns to Alstonefield via Hopedale, a small hamlet with a delightful inn, The Watts Russell Arms.
- With your back to The George turn left to walk to the main village road and left again to follow the Hartington and Hulme End road and the toilet sign. Pass the small car park and toilets on the left. Follow this road out of the village for nearly half a mile passing the de-restriction and village signs.
- (A) Cross the gated squeeze stile on the left and bear right across the field to cross another gated stile. Keep straight on to go through a third gated stile. In the next field pass the end of a broken wall and continue ahead across the undulating field, keeping a ditch down on the left. Go through two stiles ahead.
- Keep straight on crossing two fields and two gated stiles. In the third field turn left through a stile nearly half way down the field. Bear right across the next field.
- Cross the road via two stiles. Bear left down to the farm; go through a small gate by the farm gate and cross the track. Pass Gateham Farm over to the right. Go through a small gate and bear right to walk to the farm gate, cross the cattle grid onto the road. (B)
- Turn right along the road for about 100 metres and where it bends right turn left over the stile and keep straight on to cross another stile into the National Trust area at Wetton. (C)
- Bear left to a wall corner then follow the wall close on your left for 350 metres before turning left over the stile. (D)
- Turn right to cross the upper (ie right hand) stile ahead. Keep straight on crossing six fields and stiles. Walk through the top of a small wood, and then across a field and stile.
- Bear right to cross a wall stile and turn left following the wall on the left to cross two fields and stiles onto the lane. (E)
- Turn left down the lane then left again into Wetton. Pass the inn and at the road junction turn right signed Grindon 2 (Manifold Valley). Almost immediately turn left. (F)
- Walk up a short, grassed, walled track to cross a stile. Then cross the small field diagonally to cross another gated stile.
- Bear left to cross two fields and stiles. In the third field bear left up to the narrow field corner to cross the wall stile near a small tree. Walk up towards a barn and as you near it bear left to cross the stile. (G)
- Keep straight on down the field with the wall close on the right. Cross the road via two stiles. (H)
- Follow the path ahead crossing a stile then turn right up to the footpath post and cross the stile.
- You will now follow the path above the deep Manifold Valley for about three-quarters of a mile. (I) You will cross one stile. After going through a small gate turn away from the valley up to a gate. (This is a good picnic spot.) Cross the stile by the gate.
- Keep straight on following the Hope Stanshope route, which soon becomes a track with a wall on the left. Cross another track via two stiles. (J)
- Bear left across the field and through the stile. Follow the walls on the left crossing three fields and stiles. In the fourth field at a wall corner bear slightly left to cross the stile in the field corner. Keep straight on to go through a small gate and keeping the wall on the right walk down to the road. (K)
- Cross the road diagonally left to go through a stile. Walk down into the small dry valley, turning left, to follow it down to the road. Go through a small gate and turn left along the road. (L)
- Walk through the hamlet of Hope passing the inn and keeping straight on. At the second footpath sign (M) turn left.
- Follow a short grassy track to cross a stile. Keep straight on with the wall close on the right to cross two fields and a gate. In the corner of the second field go through two gates close together and ignoring the gate up on the right.
- Follow a slabbed path with a line of trees on the right. Cross the road via two small gates. (N)
- Follow the wall on the left to cross a stile; you will now have the wall on the right as you cross two fields and small gates. Walk up the track to the main village road. Turn right back into Alstonefield. (O)