Peak District Walk - Castleton and Mam Tor
PUBLISHED: 12:06 29 April 2010 | UPDATED: 15:21 03 May 2020
A six mile walk in Castleton and Mam Tor
Linear Distance: 6 miles
Approximate time: 3½ to 4 hours
Approx height climbed: Over 1,000ft
Parking: Castleton pay and display car park SK149830
Toilets: Castleton Visitor Centre (car park)
Picnic: Mam Nick to instruction 10
Directions: From Chesterfield take the A619 to Baslow then the A623 to Calver. Turn right at the traffic lights in Calver to follow the Sheffield road A623 for a few metres and where the Sheffield road turns right keep straight on along the Hathersage road, B6001. In Grindleford turn sharp left uphill still on the B6001. Drive to Hathersage and at the T-junction by the George Hotel turn left to follow the A6187 through Hope to Castleton. Drive through Castleton taking a sharp left and then a right bend. The Visitor Centre and car park is at the bottom of the main road on the right.
Description: On a snowy sunny winter day this is an idyllic walk, as you can see from the pictures. The views across to Kinder to the north and down to Hope Valley to the south are well worth the climb up the Winnats Pass and the stepped path up from Mam Nick. The exhilarating walk across the ridge towards Lose Hill has only one short climb after Hollins Cross. The return route downhill all the way crosses open farm land. Castleton is well worth a visit in December when they celebrate Christmas with a wonderful show of lights. More information is to be found in The Derbyshire Village Book by the WI and in The Peak Advertiser.
1. From the car park in Castleton return to and cross the main road. Follow the Riverside Walk, a surfaced path, to the minor road and turn right. Cross the river bridge and walk up Goose Hill, first on a tarmac surface then a wooded stony track. (A)
2. Go through a gate to follow a path round the hillside, keeping a wall close on the right. You will cross one stile and one gate. In about half a mile you reach the road.
3. Turn left, passing the entrance to Speedwell Cavern. Walk up Winnats Pass by following the grass path on the right of the road. After about three-quarters of a mile, as you near the top of the Pass, bear off right to and through a small gate. (B)
4. Continue ahead up the small right-hand gully. As you near the top bear round to the left aiming for the wood below Mam Nick. You will see Winnats Farm over to the left and a small gate by a farm gate ahead. Go through the gate and keep straight on. Go through two more small gates to cross the road. (C)
5. Follow the path across the National Trust Windy Knoll area. As you near the road you will join a track. Turn right to the road. Cross the road via two gates.
6. Keep straight on up the hill to go through a gate and up steps to near the road. Turn right through a gate. (D)
7. Follow the stepped path to the top of Mam Tor then continue ahead down the ridge to Hollins Cross (E), just over three-quarters of a mile. Keep straight on, first up the ridge, for another half a mile. At the start of Back Tor, by a stile on the left, turn RIGHT down a short bank to join another path. Turn left. (F)
8. Walk towards a conifer wood. Go through the right-hand gate into the wood. Walk through the small wood to leave it via a stile.
9. Keep straight on across the hillside below Lose Hill crossing stiles. When you see the path coming down from Lose Hill on your left turn right by the fourth stile (do not cross it). (G)
10. Keep a fence close on the left as you descend the hillside. In nearly half a mile at a footpath post near Crimea Farm turn right signed ‘Hope Castleton’ (H). Follow the path which gradually descends to a gate on the left; go through this gate and down steps. Keep a fence on the right. (I) At the footpath post turn right signed ‘Castleton’. Cross a footbridge via a stile and a gate.
11. Keep straight on across and down the field to go through a small gate. Now follow a fenced and old walled track. Where the track bends left keep straight on to cross a stile by the farm gate. (J)} Follow the fence on the right. Cross a footbridge via a stile and a gate.
12. Turn left, keeping a wall close on the left. In about 150 metres leave the track to cross the stile up to the left. Riding House Farm and the stream are on your right. At a way-marked post bear off down right to follow a path down the valley then down steps to cross a footbridge then go through a gate. (K) Turn left following a path, with the stream now on the left, to go through two gates.
13. Turn right along the track behind Losehill Hall. Where the track bends sharp left you have a choice: either to follow the track down to the main road then turn right to walk into Castleton, or to keep straight on to cross a gated squeeze stile by the entrance to Riding House Farm. (L)
14. After crossing the stile follow the field boundary on the right then go through a gate and across stepping stones. Keep straight on to a surfaced track by the footpath post. Cross the track to go through a small gate by the cattle grid.
15. Follow the track down to the Hollowford Road. Turn left. (M) Just before reaching the main road turn right by Brook House to walk back to the car park.